altered breathing patternspurposeto identify maladaptive breathing patterns H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Module 03 Mini Case Studies – Altered Breathing Patterns
To identify maladaptive breathing patterns and intervene as necessary
Explain care for the client with upper respiratory disorders.
Read the scenarios and answer the questions that follow each one. Please cite any sources using APA format.
Scenario # 1
A 45-year-old male comes to the ER unconscious. A co-worker went to check on him when he did not show up for work and found him unconscious. The client is a type one diabetic. His respirations are 36 and his breath has a “fruity” breath. His respirations are both deep and rapid. Labs are drawn and his glucose is 1024.
- Why does this client have rapid, deep respirations and “fruity” smelling breath? (5-10 sentences)
Scenario # 2
A 94-year-old in long-term-care is terminally ill and has been placed on hospice care. Her family summons you because her breathing has become erratic. You observe periods of rapid, deep respirations followed by periods of apnea.
- What should the nurse do next? (5-10 sentences)
Scenario # 3
A 64-year-old male comes via car to the clinic where you are working. His wife reports he has been having “trouble breathing” for the past several days but today it is much worse. The client is unable to speak and appears very anxious. His respiratory rate is 48.
- What is the priority nursing intervention? (5-10 sentences)
Scenario # 4
A 22-year-old female arrives to urgent care. Her mother reports she thinks the client is having trouble breathing and that it started after she broke up with her boyfriend. The client is crying. Her respiratory rate is 36.
- What is the most appropriate nursing intervention? (5-10 sentences)
Scenario # 5
You are the medication nurse on a medical-surgical unit. You arrive to the room of a 28- year-old female who was admitted for opiate overdose and substance abuse disorder. You find the client in bed, unresponsive with a respiratory rate of 4.
- What is the priority nursing intervention? (5-10 seconds)
- Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.)
- Logical, original and insightful
- Professional organization, style, and mechanics in APA format
- Submit document through Grammarly to correct errors before submission
APA Online Guide