attend mental health services frequently H e a l t h M e d i c a l
“Stephanie” has been a client with Rasmussen Help Center, LLC for six months and she has been assigned to your caseload. You are the third Human Services Professional that she will be working with. Her transition between Human Services Professionals is because she has been minimally-compliant with receiving assistance and the agency is trying to work with her because she is mandated to participate in social services as a part of the conditions for her parole.
Stephanie walks into your office and says, “Well, I guess you have heard about me. You seem to be okay, but let me tell you what I will and will not do.” You have reviewed the notes in her file and the notations you have made are as such:
- Client has a history of substance abuse (marijuana); however, has tested negative for the last 6 months, but feels the urge to use again due to living with a brother that is a chronic marijuana abuser.
- Due to disruptive behavior in group counseling (Anger Management Group) two weeks ago, her parole officer was contacted and stated that if she disrupts another group, she will face parole revocation for not working on her anger.
- Client has a history of being physically and sexually abused as a child and was a victim of domestic violence.
- Client has 4 children—all of whom are in foster care. She has court-ordered conditions that she must meet in order to have the children transitioned back into the home.
- Client’s living situation is unstable.
- Client suffers from PTSD and chronic depression and does not attend mental health services frequently and refuses to take prescribed medication for anxiety and depression.
Stephanie’s transition to your caseload is her last chance. As an ethical and creative Human Services Professional, write a 3-page double-spaced paper, using at least two sources, in which you do the following:
- Based on the notes that you have made, develop strategies that will assist her in addressing the stressors in her life and her maladaptive behaviors.
- Discuss how the role of supervision can assist in working Stephanie. (Think about the role of your supervisor. How does the supervisor’s role support you, as a Human Services Professional, in working with Stephanie and applying evidence-based practice to your work?)