didi ” written case analysis assignment questionsyour analysis W r i t i n g
“Uber v. DiDi” Written Case Analysis Assignment Questions
Your analysis should address the following questions, but you need not limit yourself to them.
1) Assess Uber’s entry to the Chinese market? What did they do well and what challenges do they face?
2) What would you recommend Uber change if anything?
To answer these two questions – please follow the following steps:
- Mark out the protagonist and key players in the case study from the very start.
- Draw a motivation chart of the key players and their priorities from the case study description.
- Refine the central problem the protagonist is facing in the case and how it relates to the HBR fundamentals on the topic.
- Evaluate each detail in the case study in light of the HBR case study analysis core ideas
- Company history is provided in the first half of the case. You can use this history to draw a growth path and illustrate vision, mission and strategic objectives of the organization. Often history is provided in the case not only to provide a background to the problem but also provide the scope of the solution that you can write for the case study.
- HBR case studies provide anecdotal instances from managers and employees in the organization to give a feel of real situation on the ground. Use these instances and opinions to mark out the organization’s culture, its people priorities & inhibitions.
- Make a time line of the events and issues in the case study. Time line can provide the clue for the next step in organization’s journey. Time line also provides an insight into the progressive challenges the company is facing in the case study.
- Use Porter’s 5 Forces to do industry analysis (PDF attached)
- Once you have developed multipronged approach and work out various suggestions based on the strategic tools. The next step is organizing the solution based on the requirement of the case. You can use the following strategy to organize the findings and suggestions.
- Build a corporate level strategy – organizing your findings and recommendations in a way to answer the larger strategic objective of the firm. It include using the analysis to answer the company’s vision, mission and key objectives , and how your suggestions will take the company to next level in achieving those goals.
- Business Unit Level Solution – The case study may put you in a position of a marketing manager of a small brand. So instead of providing recommendations for overall company you need to specify the marketing objectives of that particular brand. You have to recommend business unit level recommendations. The scope of the recommendations will be limited to the particular unit but you have to take care of the fact that your recommendations are don’t directly contradict the company’s overall strategy. For example you can recommend a low cost strategy but the company core competency is design differentiation.
- Case study solutions can also provide recommendation for the business manager or leader described in the business case study.