external siteuno speech center refresher B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
This discussion will ask you to share your thoughts and experiences about public speaking and presentations.
View the following videos about presentations before responding to the discussion questions:
- Every Presentation Ever:Every Presentation Ever: Communication FAIL (Links to an external site.)
- UNO Speech Center Refresher with Dr. Marlina Davidson: https:// class=”screenreader-only”> (Links to an external site.)
- TED Talk On Power Posing and Body Language: https:// class=”screenreader-only”> (Links to an external site.)
Questions for Discussion Board:
- In Every Presentation Ever (video #1 above), the skit gives examples of many things that might go wrong during a presentation. Have you experienced any of these as a presenter or an audience member? How did it impact the overall presentation?
- View video #2 above, UNO Speech Center Refresher with Dr. Marlina Davidson. Reflect on your past experiences with public speaking. How can you use Dr. Davidson’s advice (along with your own experience) to help control presentation anxiety or nervousness in a presentation setting? What are the most helpful tips you can offer to another presenter?
- In Amy Cuddy’s video, she discusses the science behind body language and how it can impact the way we feel about ourselves, and even change how people rate our performance during an evaluative situation. Try one of the power poses in the TED Talk and hold for at least 2 minutes (set a timer). Please actually do the pose for 2 minutes!!! Dr. Cuddy’s research shows that holding a power pose for 2 minutes produces a biological change in your hormones, cortisol, and testosterone. Describe how you feel after holding a power pose for 2 minutes. Did you notice a perceptible change in your attitude, confidence, positivity, state of mind, etc.? Did it make you feel better/worse? Can you think of a time you might use a power pose?