good luck enjoy please begin W r i t i n g
Choose someone who is at least 68 years of age and older.
Ask if they are comfortable answering questions for an historical sharing in a family education class?
Please let them know the information is not copied and they only need to answer the questions they are comfortable with.
Please make raw notes first and then type up your final interview. There are 30 plus questions. Choose 15 and then
you choose two free or open questions that you would like to have answers for. Of course, you are welcome to ask more questions than required if time permits and your interviewee is agreeable.
Please make sure answers are complete and full, not one word or short phrases. Good Luck Enjoy
Please begin by introducing the interviewee. Provide gender, approximate age, family dynamics, background
information such as place of birth and place where most time was spent growing up. Describe current living
accommodations, lifestyle, traditions also. Anything else you feel is relevant?
After the interview and responding to the questions chosen, please include an evaluation about your experience. What
did you learn? How do you feel about the information? What was the most important information for you?
- What were the gender roles or expectations for men and women regarding family, education and career?
- What was your most memorable historical event during your youth?
- What was the most exciting invention designed that you feel has made an impact on society?
- What do you enjoy or like about society today?
- What do you dislike about society today?
- What is your most exciting or fond memory from your youth?
- How did you meet your mate? What was the attraction?
- Share some of the norms during the dating years.
- What was your favorite fad, highlight or concern in high school?
- What do you like to do now for fun? What advice do you have for me?
- Share your views about sexual mores growing up and how you feel about the topic today. What advice do you have regarding this topic?
- What do think about healthcare today? What are your thoughts about the illnesses so frequently shared in the media? What are your feelings about medication? Diet? Exercise? Food?
- What was the scariest part or most exciting thought about getting older? How do you define yourself? Experienced Senior?
- What goals do you have? How do you feel society should help the older experienced person in today?
- If you have children, does parenting ever stop? Share your thoughts about parenting. If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently?
- What was your career? Looking back, what else if anything would you have added to your career?
- Was education important in your family?
- Have you kept in touch with any life-long friends?
- What emotions do you feel today? Lonely? Happy? Fulfilled? Regrets? Social contacts? Groups?
- What do you feel was your greatest accomplishment?
- What were some of the key memories about fashion, food, entertainment, music during your youth?
- Share your thoughts about marriage and divorce. How significant are these concerns upon the couple? Individual? Family? Have you experienced lasting emotions from one or both of these times?
- How do you keep marriage going? Who did housework? Child rearing?
- What was your favorite toy? Favorite activity? Favorite food? Restaurant? Sport? During your elementary years?
- What do you remember about dating, race, culture and relationships during your adolescence?
- Do you feel parents should get a license to have a child?
- What traditions, holidays, values are and were important to you?
- What was the most popular job growing up? What was your first job? What was the minimum wage?
- What was your favorite time in your life? Why?
- What was your first car? Who was your first love? Do you remember your first kiss? Do you have special places teenagers would go to share kisses? Places to “hang out” spend time? Clothing Styles? Hair Styles?
- What do you miss most about the past? Which era was your favorite and why?
- What in life has shocked you the most?
- Were you prepared for all the stages you have experienced?
- What would have helped you to be better prepared?
- Looking back. What would you change if anything about your past?
- What question would you like to ask any leader, president if they were still living?
- What was dating like?
- What was it like growing up during times of war?
- Who was your favorite artist? Song? Actor? Dance?
- What was discipline like at home and in school or in the community?
- Where were you when JFK was shot?
- What was childbirth like? Preparations? Planning?
- What was the legal age for drinking, driving and smoking?
- Open question
- Open question
- What advice do you have? How do you feel after sharing?
- Please thank your wonderful interviewee