north carolina based ): duke university health novant health presbyterian hospital memorial mission health systemcourse objectives associated H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Purpose: In this assignment, students will provide a presentation suited for a senior hospital executive on the
current data on readmission rates for myocardial infarction, heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease, pneumonia, and strokes. Students will compare the data against national and state levels. Using
evidence-based practice, students will also offer one quality improvement activity to improve or maintain
Students choose one of the following hospitals to examine various clinical reporting data sets. In a PowerPoint
presentation that includes a written narrative in the Notes section of each slide, students will provide the data
points found in such websites as Hospital Compare of the US Department of Health and Human Services, and instate mortality data. Students will use graphs, tables, and narrative to present their findings.
Hospitals (all North Carolina based):
Course Objectives Associated with this Assignment:
CO 1 – Analyze the role informatics plays in the provision of safe, quality, patient-centered care.
CO 2 – Describe how computer information literacy supports the provision of evidence-based practice.
CO 3 – Explore how informatics can positively contribute to patient education and health literacy.
CO 4 – Examine the role of information management systems in the collection, management, and
communication of patient data between members of the interprofessional team.
CO 6 – Explore the impact informatics has on the provision of community and population health.
1. Create PowerPoint as a presentation to a senior hospital executive. Include on a slide information about
the hospital (location, number of beds)
2. Choose one of the hospital options and on the Hospital Compare website. and examine the following
quality indicators for Unplanned hospital readmissions and hospital return dates by medical condition:
Using Excel, create graphs or tables that compare the hospital rates against national rates for
these disease categories.
3. Using evidence-based practice on the diseases, create slides presenting the table or graph of the
disease rates (hospital, state, and national rankings), and two nursing actions that could improve
patient readmission rates for each disease process.
4. Slides should be bullet points and the Notes section should contain narrative on the information for the
bullets. Both bullets and narrative must demonstrate correct APA (6th ed.) in-textcitations.
5. The presentation should not be greater than 15 slides:
a. Title slide
c. COPD readmission data and COPD quality improvement recommendation
d. Heart Attack readmission data and Heart Attack quality improvement recommendation
e. Heart Failure readmission data and Heart Failure quality improvement recommendation
f. Pneumonia Readmission data and Pneumonia quality improvement recommendation
g. Stroke readmission data and Stroke quality improvement recommendation
i. Reference Slide
6. Using your assigned class readings and a minimum of three additional peer-reviewed articles (published
within the last 5 years) to support your discussion. Websites, regardless of the source, do not count as
scholarly articles and will not be counted in the required article count.
7. The paper must follow APA format: include title page, reference page, use 12-point Times New Roman
font, and include in-text citations (use citations whenever paraphrasing, using statistics, or quoting from
an article). Please refer to your APA manual as a guide for in-text citations and sample reference
8. Students are permitted a maximum of two direct quotes. More than two direct quotes will result in a
loss of marks.