parenting across cultures assignment template download parenting across cultures assignment template H u m a n i t i e s
Parenting Across Cultures
[WLO: 1] [CLO: 3]
Professionals working with children and families typically receive cultural competency training; however, such training rarely includes the influence of culture on family dynamics and child rearing practices (Johnson, Radesky, & Zuckerman, 2013). As a professional working with diverse families, it is important to consider the influence of culture on parenting. To complete this assignment, please set aside 80 minutes to watch the required documentary film in addition to writing the assignment.
- Read Chapter 6 of the course text.
- Be sure to have taken the Babies Pretest quiz this week.
- Watch the 80-minute documentary, Babies.
- Use the Parenting Across Cultures Assignment Template Download Parenting Across Cultures Assignment Template.
Write: In this assignment, evaluate the film, addressing each of the following:
- Raising Children: Ponijao chewed on a dirt-covered bone. Bayar climbed naked on a rusty barrel in a field of roaming cows. A person living in a first-world might ask, where were their parents? Where is this child’s safety net and protection? But consider this: there are negative implications to overprotection. There are a multitude of different perspectives about raising children. After watching this, have your thoughts on how to raise children changed at all? How and why?
- Culture & Play: Did you notice the difference of how U.S. parents play and interacted with their children? What conclusions can you draw about the influences of culture and parental support on children’s play? Which scenes in this film most clearly indicate to you the interconnectedness (the similarity) in all human behavior? While each story is unique, what are some universal themes that run through each child’s story?
- Central Themes: In what way did this movie most impact you? What is the central theme you walked away with after viewing this film? How might this film affect your own professional diversity statement?