primary sources readings folder found H u m a n i t i e s
Part 1 Assignment:
Answer in brief paragraphs, 100 word minimum. Meeting the word minimum does not automatically constitute a complete answer. Content of
the answer remains the most important element. Be sure to include historic examples from your reading
to support your answers.
1. Who was Metternich? What was his opinion about nationalism and liberalism? Why
was he an advocate of conservatism? What were some examples of his conservative
2. What was the balance of power established by the Congress of Vienna? What role did
France play in maintaining it? What role did Prussia and Russia play?
3. What was the Concert of Europe? How did it handle the political instability during the
1820’s? Give examples.
4. What was the situation in France in 1830? Who benefited from Louis Philippe’s
leadership? What changes occurred as a result of the revolutions in the early 1830s?
5. Why was Britain able to prevent major political outrage during the 1830s and 1840s?
Provide examples of how their government dealt with the needs of the people?
6. What were the major events of the revolution of 1848 in France? Germany? Austria?
Italy? In what ways were the revolutionaries successful? How and why did they fail?
Why were the events of 1848 not as “revolutionary” as the French Revolution in the
7. Who was Bismarck and what was his role in the unification of the German state? How
did he use realpolitik as a means to bring the German people to rally around a common
flag, under Prussian leadership?
8. What is volkism? Why was it appealing to the German speaking population of Europe?
Why were the Jews targeted as enemies of the people? What political purpose did this
serve for the nation’s leaders?
Part 2 Assignment:
Read: “Communist Manifesto” by Marx and Engles; located in Primary Sources readings folder
found at course documents
Answer: Each of the questions below in one complete essay of 500 words.
should be only a guide to the information you should include in the essay. Do not number and
answer; this is an essay and the questions will help walk you through this document.
Questions that guide you through the first section of the Communist Manifesto in order to
complete essay in assignment #2:
1) What do Karl Marx and Fredrick Engles mean by the term class conflict? What historical
examples of class conflict are provided?
2) According to the Manifesto, what role has the state played in the class conflict?
3) How does the Manifesto describe the condition of the working class under capitalism?
4) According to the Manifesto, why is capitalism doomed? Which conditions will bring
about the end of capitalism?
5) “The ruling ideas of each age have ever been the ideas of its ruling class.” What is
meant by this statement? Do you agree or disagree? Explain
6) Have Marx’s predictions proven accurate: Explain your answer.