stafftraining new employeesconnecting people across departmentscontrolling departmental resourcesestablishing H e a l t h M e d i c a l
For this Performance Task Assessment, you will be presented with a scenario where you will produce an email to a clinic director, an infographic for the facility’s breakroom exploring a theory of leadership, and a response memo to an HR manager that includes a hiring recommendation.
Professional Skills: Written Communication is assessed in this Competency.
Your response to this Assessment should:
- Reflect the criteria provided in the Rubric.
- Adhere to the required assignment length.
This Assessment requires submission of one email of 3–5 paragraphs, a 1- to 2-page infographic, and a memo of 3 paragraphs. Save these files as:
- HM4001_email_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HM4001_email_J_Smith)
- HM4001_infographic_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HM4001_infographic_J_Smith)
- HM4001_memo_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HM4001_memo_J_Smith)
When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
Access the following to complete this Assessment:
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission, and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
To complete this assessment, read the Healthcare Leadership and Management Scenario and complete Parts 1–3 below.
Healthcare Leadership and Management Scenario
You work on a team of medical assistants at a busy children’s clinic. The absence of a manager who has been out of the office due to personal illness is causing significant stress in the workplace. HR sees the need for a new manager. As the senior member of your team, you have been asked to participate in the process of writing a job description and hiring a new manager.
Part I: Email to Clinic Director
The clinic director has identified a list of responsibilities that he could potentially use within the job description for the manager position, but he wants to gather information from someone who works closely with this department on a regular basis. He asks you to analyze the list of responsibilities and choose 5 that you think are most important. For each of these 5 selected tasks, explain why it is an important responsibility from both a manager and a leader perspective. Draft an email in response to the clinic director’s request that identifies the 5 responsibilities and analyzes each from both perspectives.
- Setting a department vision
- Maintaining a smooth relationship with the physicians
- Overseeing technology acquisition for the department
- Being an effective spokesperson for the organization
- Determining strategies for the future
- Motivating stakeholders
- Ensuring patient satisfaction
- Mentoring new hires
- Fostering collaboration
- Assisting with budgeting
- Aligning team with organizational values
- Facilitating continuing education for staff
- Training new employees
- Connecting people across departments
- Controlling departmental resources
- Establishing a department mission
Your email response should be between 3 and 5 paragraphs in length.
Part II: Manager and Leader Responsibility Infographic
In addition to emailing the clinic director regarding the importance of responsibilities from both a leader and manager perspective, you have also been asked to communicate these important responsibilities to the employees in your department. You decide to create an infographic that explains the responsibilities from both a leader and manager perspective, highlighting the fact that, while not everyone is in a management position, everyone on the team can be a leader in some way.
Your infographic should be 1–2 pages in length and should include at least one APA-formatted resource that supports your explanation of responsibilities. Although not required, you can use this website to help you create an infographic. https:// href=”https://tempolearning.brightspace.com/content/enforced/29433-HM4001/Assessment.html#collapse_acc_3″ class=”” role=”button” data-toggle=”collapse” data-parent=”#accordion” aria-expanded=”true” aria-controls=”collapse_acc_3″>Part III: Response Memo on Evaluation of Candidates
The hiring committee has narrowed their search to three candidates from within your current team: Erica, Kendra, and Arlo. You work with each of these candidates on a daily basis, so the hiring committee asks for your evaluation of the candidates and a recommendation for the manager position. Evaluate the three candidates (Erica, Kendra, and Arlo) based on the responsibilities that you feel are most important and the candidate information provided. Write a memo to the clinical director, who is part of the hiring committee, that includes the following:
- Make a recommendation for one candidate who best displays both manager and leader characteristics. Reference at least 2 responsibilities that were analyzed within your email to the clinical director in Part 1.
- Reference at least 1 appropriate scholarly resource in APA format that supports your recommendation.
(Recommended length: 3 paragraphs)