title – nothing cuteintroductionno grabber W r i t i n g
Attached is Some information about the Electoral College.
Here are some sources to start with:
This has good graphics
https://uk.usembassy.gov/the-electoral-college/ (Links to an external site.) This is out of date, but has some good information
Why was it created?
Can it be changed/abolished?
The tone of your essay should be serious, academic, and professional. Your purpose is to inform.
Your essay should consist of the following:
- Title – nothing cute
- NO grabber. Just begin.
- Brief statement of the main idea, as I did above (DON’T copy my words!)
- The GUIDING QUESTIONs
- THESIS STATEMENT as an answer to the G.Q. THE THESIS STATEMENT MAY BE 3 SHORT SENTENCES or ONE SENTENCE IN 3 PARTS.
- Brief reference to the creation of the Constitution. When. Where. Who.
- Brief description of the issues faced in creating the world’s first national election.
- How and why did the Founders decide on the Electoral College?
- BP 1 – How does the Electoral College work? (THIS CAN BE SUBDIVIDED INTO SEVERAL PARAGRAPHS)
- BP 2 – By what process can the Electoral College be modified or abolished?
The essay must be at least 5 paragraphs. You may have more than 5. You may divide some of the topics into more than 1 paragraph.
- Additional requirements:
- Essay must be in MLA format
- Your essay must contain at least 1 visual following the instructions we have gone over in class.
- AVOID PLAGIARISM
- All information from outside sources must be cited.
- Even if you cite the source, the information must be in YOUR OWN WORDS.
- ANY TEXT NOT IN YOUR WORDS MUST BE IN QUOTATION MARKS AND CITED
- NO MORE THAN ONE QUOTE. The quote should blend seamlessly into your narrative. The quote should serve a purpose. Do NOT dump a meaningless quote into a paragraph just because you are tired of trying to write.
- Paper must be DOUBLE SPACED. No extra space between paragraphs. No extra space between entries on works cited list.
- Margins must align.
- Font size no less than 11; no more than 12.
- Font: simple is best. I prefer Calibri.
- Word count: 600-1,000. I look for QUALITY, not quantity.
- First sentence of each paragraph should be indented 7-10 spaces.
- Please prepare a PRELIMINARY WORKS CITED LIST.
- 1. Include at least 3 of the sources I have provided.
- 2. Include at least 1 source you have found by yourself.
- 3. In MLA format. (You will not know on which page of your essay the Works Cited list will be. For the header, assume it will be page 5. (Therefore, the header will be “Surname 5”).
- 4. Of course, the final Works Cited List can be different.
- 5. See the video that follows in this Module. I made it last semester after the students did not take this assignment seriously. Watch it NOW so that you DO take it seriously.
- I WANT SIMPLE STYLE FOR RESEARCH PAPER
- CITED WITH ONE IMAGE OR GRAPHIC