using narrative design method W r i t i n g
What is Happiness?: A qualitative study
As well observed, happiness differs from one person to another, it is a conversation that is in a wide spectrum of perspective to what are their definitions of happiness. For the variety of reasons what happiness is, I was able to recognize that numbers of people are intuitive about what makes them happy. Some believe that genetics plays a greater influence in their life. Certain individuals believe that happiness results in accomplishment. Some believe that money provides happiness, while others argue that happy individuals earn more money. Additionally, many believe that happy individuals perform better at work. This semester, we discovered that five factors can contribute to our satisfaction; Gratitude, maintain an optimistic attitude, appreciate blessings, use of strength and Perform deeds of goodwill. Henc I felt that single people are happier than those who are in a relationship and a contributing factor to the happiness of others is money. However, I was astonished when I saw the diverse response of people. Based on my perspective, single people are happier than those who are in a relationship. Social relationship can play huge role when it comes to happiness. On the other hand, sometimes culture and societies can bring happiness to individuals based on their traditions. Sometimes things do not guarantee happiness, but the way these individuals are raised, their traditions can bring them happiness in life.
I started my research by providing a survey using Survey Monkey. I asked a ten-item questionnaire about the concept and factors contributing to the respondent’s happiness, gratitude. The first part of the survey was about their age, marital status and gender and the number of my respondents is 25 and the population sample is based in San Diego. The survey usually takes only about five minutes to complete. The people who completed it were from different ages, marital status, and gender. By using narrative design method, I was able to analyze, study, and deduce the respondents’ variety of answers.
After the response was conducted and gathered, the survey revealed answers that differ from my hypothesis. The survey reveals that most people are satisfied with the things they have and a very few are not. The survey suggests that married people are happier than single people. Based on the answers of the respondents, most of the respondents prefer to have a partner that they can be with, rather than being alone. The survey shows that almost half of the people consider money as a contributing factor to their happiness, only a quarter disagreed and the rest could not decide. Based on the survey conducted, I learned from this research that the majority of people are optimistic about their future endeavors most of the time and the minority of the respondents are pessimistic.
The respondents showcase a variety of perspectives when it comes to happiness, thus this research was able to conclude that the majority of the people who are in a relationship are happier than those who are not. Furthermore, this research concludes that money is a factor of happiness to some. One last thing that I learned is that “Family” and “Loved ones” were two of the most common gifts that people were grateful about, as well as staying healthy. The difficulty in doing this research lies in the truthfulness of the respondents, and the questions that I would’ve added is: What is your definition of contentment? for I want to know if contentment lingers to happiness. My team could do better in this research by conducting a personal interview so that it may be more personal and transparent and I wish I had a chance to talk to more people. I wish I had a chance to talk to more people. I hope I can work with a group next time. I prefer to ask more questions in the future. I am planning to talk to a more diverse public. Future research might focus on those people that are in discussing the concept of happiness to the working class, on what their perspective on what happiness is, what keeps them happy and keep on going every day, I think that would be beneficial to the community.
Dany is 28 years old lives in El Cajon with his parents. I am interviewing Dany on the phone.
- Hello, how are you? I am well, and yourself? Me, I am great thank you.
- How is your day? My day started with work, then home. Me, very good.
- Are you having fun today? Actually, I am but my mother is not feeling well, so I am a bit sad today. Me, I am sorry to hear that, I hope she will be better soon.
- What is your plans? My plans are to stay with her in case if she needs anything.
Me, great ideas Dany!
- Are you in a relationship? Not at this moment, I broke up. Me, I am sorry to hear that.
- How is your education? I am a graduate student from UCSD, my major was in IT.
Me, my son always wanted IT work.
- Are you doing good health wise? Health wise thankfully great. Me, great!
- Are you doing something that will satisfy you? Yes, I want to get into a company that will provide me good benefits, and I will make more that my current job.
Me, super, a way to move up.
- Are you working toward your dreams? I achieved my dreams by studying hard and graduating. Me, very good Dany!
- Have you accomplished anything? Yes, I bought a house. Me, Woow! That is a great accomplishment.
- What is your dream job? Is to get into the company that has lots of benefits.
Me, I remember you told me.
- Did you like your classes in school? It was okey, I struggled, I passed, I learned.
Me, that is the way of school.
- Did you like your teachers? Some I did, some definitely not. Me, I am the same!
- Did you struggle at all? I did when I used to get into family situation, or personal issues.
- Are you working? Currently, yes, but I am going to change it.
- If so, do you like your supervisor? I do!
- Are your co-workers good to be around with? Yes, they are very helpful
- Are you having hardship financially? I used to, but not anymore.
- Do you feel comfortable telling me about you? Yes!
- Did you have any support? I did from my parents with every step.
I interviewed Dany; he had a lot support from his parents. He is a graduate student from UCSD majored in IT, he is currently working, about to change his job for the better. His mother is not feeling well, and he is very sad. Dany had accomplished a lot in his life.
“I don’t need any help right now. Thank you.
“Here you will attach your Discussion of your results, the final step in the first draft of your IMRD.
Look at all the responses you collected. Report the patterns you see. Reflect on your best questions and your weakest questions. What would you change if you could do this project over again? What would you recommend to future students doing an IMRD on Happiness? What did you learn from this? What will others learn from your results? What do you respondents need to learn about the research facts of Happiness in order to lead a happier life?