For your first Lab Activity, I would like you to take an online test known as the Implicit Association Test, which is a test about implicit bias. The test is on a website associated with a Harvard University research study, so your participation in this test is for real scientific research. You will get results from the test, but you will not have to share your actual results. Please follow the detailed instructions below to complete all steps and submit all appropriate evidence of your work before the deadline.
Visit this website: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
Read the instructions and at the bottom click “I wish to proceed”
Choose the button for “Race IAT.”
Click to continue.
As the instructions states: “You have selected the Race Task. In this study you will complete an Implicit Association Test (IAT) in which you will be asked to sort pictures and words into groups as fast as you can. In addition to the IAT, there are some questions about your beliefs, attitudes, and opinions, and some standard demographic questions. This study should take about 10 minutes to complete. At the end, you will receive your IAT result along with information about what it means.
After you finish, please read the feedback carefully, and then take a screenshot of the last page; mine looked like this:
Next, read about the test here: https://www.projectimplicit.net/resources/about-the-iat/
Finally, answer these discussion questions based on your own thoughts and experiences:
- Is there something about the IAT design that leads to the results, or does the IAT reveal something about mental associations that we might not be aware of?
- If the IAT reveals something different than what we say, does that mean we’re lying? Hiding our “real” feelings? Something else?
- Where do implicit biases come from?
- If we’re conscious and can choose how we act, why would having implicit biases matter?
What you will submit to this assignment:
- Screenshot of the page showing you have completed the study
- Your answers to the four discussion questions
Alternative to Participation: Because this test is a part of scientific research, and it is not ethical to require that people participate in scientific research, I will offer an alternative assignment. If you do not wish to take the Implicit Association Test, then you may read and summarize a scientific or popular press article about implicit bias and submit that to this assignment page instead.