Prior to beginning work on this Annotated Bibliography, review the instructions for the Final Paper located in Week 5. Review the Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table; read the article Integrating Evidence-Based Practices Into Judicial Sentencing in the Wake of Realignment’s Split Sentencing; and review the About Federal Courts (Links to an external site.) website to help find supplementary resources for the week.
The purpose of creating an Annotated Bibliography (Links to an external site.) is to provide a list of sources to assist you in your approach to the Final Project. The Writing Center has created this Annotated Bibliography Template Download Annotated Bibliography Templatefor use in this assignment. The listed sources should be scholarly and/or credible, and at least three of them need to meet scholarly source criteria and come from the JSTOR, Project MUSE, ProQuest, or EBSCOhost databases, which are all available through the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. The list should include the following information for each source:
- Name of the source including the complete bibliographic citation in proper APA format
- Summary of the source (at least one paragraph) including how this source will contribute to your paper
The Annotated Bibliography must include at least three relevant sources other than the textbook, one of which may be found in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. The required sources must be scholarly or credible.
*Note: To access theUniversity of Arizona Global Campus Library directly, click on the Writing Center and Library links in your left navigation. Watch the Database Search Tips (Links to an external site.) video for more and see the Searching the University of Arizona Global Campus Library Download Searching the University of Arizona Global Campus Libraryfor assignment-specific search tips.
The Annotated Bibliography. For the annotated bibliography, you need to research sources that correspond to the three sections included in the Final Project. The sections require you to address the following topics; Section 1. Juvenile Justice, Transfer to Adult Court and Law Enforcement the 8th Amendment: Cruel and Unusual Punishment; Section 2. Juvenile Justice and the 5th Amendment Right Against Self-Incrimination; and Section 3. Racial Make Up of Juries. Please visit the Academic Research section on your course home page (accessible through the Student Responsibilities and Policies tab on the left navigation toolbar) to review what types of materials are not acceptable for academic, university-level research. Because the Final Project includes three sections, please find and organize your resources accordingly first by creating the Annotated Bibliography above, and then using the same APA citations in your APA references page that you will place at the end of your Final Paper in Week 5. To assist you with creating the Annotated Bibliography that will be relevant to the Final Paper, please follow these research parameters:
One Source for Section 1
- Section No. 1 includes the criminal justice issue of law enforcement communication in multilingual settings. In addition, this case considers applications for criminology. Note that Week 1 includes resources that address life course theory and other criminological theories that consider how criminology could address issues in criminal justice. Accordingly, please include the following:
- Summarize one source relevant to the criminal justice issue of law enforcement communication in multilingual communities.
One Source for Section No. 2
- Section No. 2 evaluates Eighth Amendment issues in correctional environments with respect to cell conditions. Please include the following:
- Summarize one source relevant to the criminal justice issue of cell conditions within the context of Eighth Amendment considerations.
One Source for Section No. 3
- Section 3 addresses juror exclusion by race. Note that the recommended resources for this week include two sources that address this issue. Please include the following:
- Summarize one source relevant to the criminal justice issue of juror exclusion by race in a criminal case.
The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment. Cite your sources within the text of your bibliography. For information regarding APA, including samples and tutorials, visit the Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar, in your online course.
*Note: You are encouraged to integrate any feedback from your instructor and upload the assignment to your ePortfolio (Links to an external site.).
The Annotated Bibliography for the Final Paper assignment
- Must include the complete bibliographic citation in proper APA format for each source, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.), and include a summary of each source (at least one paragraph), including how this source will contribute to your paper.
- Must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of Assignment
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).