The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered. For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned. Provide a detailed response to the topic questions in the Discussion Area. For this assignment, post your responses directly to the Discussion Area; do not attach any documents.
To support your work, make sure you use your course and text readings. When asked, also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite the sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Sentencing Guidelines for DUI Offenses
In June 2013, Matthew Cordle killed Vincent Canzani while driving under the influence of alcohol. Matthew Cordle, twenty-two years old, prepared a video confession, which was viewed by thousands. In his confession, entitled “I Killed A Man,” Matthew told the world he would take responsibility for killing the sixty-one-year-old navy veteran. He made the video prior to being charged; however, the police were already investigating him concerning the accident and prior to the release of the video. He initially confessed in a YouTube video and later pleaded not guilty in court. He was ultimately arrested and charged with aggravated vehicular homicide where he could face two to eight years in prison. Matthew pleaded not guilty. In October 2013, Matthew Cordle received a sentence of 61⁄2 years in prison. Review the video links below and complete the assignment that follows:
- Click here to view the video regarding Drunk Driving Confession goes Viral.
- Click here to view the video regarding Matt Cordle Pleaded Not Guilty After He Confessed Online to Drunken Driving.
- Click here to view the article regarding Driver who confessed to DUI killing in YouTube video gets 6 years, 6 months in jail.
In many states, a first-time DUI offender can be sentenced to 180 days in jail and a possible license revocation. Second, third, and fourth offenses usually land an offender in prison for at least a year.
In your response, answer the following:
- Is the sentence of 180 days in jail for a first-time DUI offender too light? Share your responses with a rationale.
- Would you be opposed to a sentence of two to five years for first-time offenders? Explain your reasoning.
- Do you believe harsher sentences serve as a deterrent for DUI offenses? Share your responses with a rationale.
- Should the remorse he expressed in the video influence the sentence he is given? Explain your reasoning.
- Should a YouTube confession video be allowed as evidence in court? Share your responses with rationale.
Review your state’s law on DUI or DWI.
- Discuss the charges and sentencing guidelines in your state for drunk driving that leads to fatalities.
Review the posts of at least two of your classmates and respond to what they have written. Be sure to respond to any feedback to your original post.